Ask any Canadian which companies they hate the most, and they are probably still a customer of them. Not because Canadians are polite and overly nice, but because they have no (or very little) choice. When I ask the question, this is the list I get with pretty much NO variation!
- Air Canada. Considered t*rrorists of the sky by most passengers. I couldn’t imagine what has made their employees so unhappy that they take it out on travellers pretty much without exception. Add on their predatory behavior towards WestJet & Porter our only other real choices, and fees to talk to a human being and you start to get the picture of how much Canadians hate this airline.
- Bell. <disclosure> I have dear family employed by Bell </disclosure> but I also packed up all my stuff and left a “Dear Bell” note on the mantle a few years ago, after receiving the worst customer service I could imagine. Until I went to…
- Rogers. From the dysfunctional blue to the evil red? 11 months to fix a simple billing mistake, out of date PVR software, price gouging, …
Highest phone rates in the western world (I know, I know it’s not just Rogers). Now losing their GSM network advantage. Oh, I’ll stop now.
- “My bank” CIBC seems to win the most vitriol (hint: don’t use a red logo if you want to be loved), and TD often escapes with a shrug “eh, what can you do – it’s a bank.”
- This one varies a bit – sometimes TTC from Torontonians, sometimes Chapters/Indigo from independent bookstore fans.
Denunciations with “belly” gut reactions against Bell seem universal. And it is the only non-red logo-ed company to win a regular spot on the “most hated” list. So in conclusion, if you’re starting a Canadian company, go blue.
Who do you hate the most?